Hey everyone! How have you all been?
It’s time for another weekly reads and here’s to hoping this one is even better than last week!
Last week (and most of this year if I’m going to be honest) has not been the greatest reading year (which you’ll see soon..) which has lead to many slumps. So I’m doubling back on my efforts of DNFing books, and I need to remind myself that even if it’s a review copy and I’m not jiving with it, it’s okay. There’s no need to force myself to read a book that I will give 1/2 stars to.
This week I plan on reading some manga, because I love how quick it is, and will hopefully get into The House on the Cerulean Sea. I’m a little nervous because it doesn’t sounds like my kind of book, and after not liking The Midnight Library, I’m nervous. But I might as well give it a try, and if I don’t like it I’ll stop about 20% through!
Other than that, not much is going on with me. It got into the 70s and then the following week there was snow. So I’m not happy about that. What about you guys? What have you been up to?
I’m also going to do a quick wrap-up of all my books from the first quarter of this year, because I didn’t get to talk about them all as much as I wanted to. I also have some reviews coming up so get excited for those!
- A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess – 2 stars. Wow am I surprised I didn’t like this one. I ADORE weird, dark stories but I hated this. Like a lot.
- Beach Read by Emily Henry – 3 stars. I have a review here! And that’s it for January lol! After not really liking either of these I got into a big slump.
- Act Your Age Eve Brown by Talia Hibbert – 5 stars!! Loved it! I have a review here!
- Grown by Tiffany Jackson – 4 stars. I never wrote a review on this, which I’m kind of mad at myself for. But I loved and hated this book. It made me so physically angry that I wanted to burn this book, but that was Jackson’s goal. I wasn’t supposed to enjoy it. I was supposed to get mad, and mad I did lol. I would recommend, it’s a pretty important topic that we just ignore because we only care about musicians we love.
- Remina by Junji Ito – 3 stars. This was obviously weird because it’s Junji Ito, but I just thought the story was meh. I think I’m starting to see a trend in his works where there’s a girl who beauty is world stopping, and I’m getting a little bored by it. Please don’t hurt me, I know it’s blasphemy, but I want more Ito work that’s comparable to Gyo.
- In the Dream House by Carmen Maria Machado – 5 stars! This!! Book!! I adored it, everyone needs to read/listen to this!!! It’s so good!! And the audiobook is read by her and it’s absolutely amazing!
- Lore by Alexandra Bracken – 4 stars. I have a review here!
- The Helm of Midnight by Marina J. Lotsetter – 4 stars. I have a review here!
- Villainous by Stonie Williams – 3 stars. I have a review here!
- Too Good to be True by Carola Lovering – 2 stars. I have a review coming soon! But I did not enjoy this at all.
- Temple of Ice by Christian Cura – 3 stars. I have a review here!
And that’s it! It’s not bad, but not the greatest at 11 books for the first quarter! My average rating is a whopping 3.45 which is lower than my usual 3.8 average. Not by much but still! If I include my ratings in April, it’s even worse (looking at you, you 1 star book).
That’s it for me though! What about you guys, how was your first quarter’s reading?